Saturday, July 8

Third-Place Match Will Be Anticlimactic For German, Portuguese Fans

"It is over. Moral victories count for about 30 minutes, which is small consolation in the general sentiments that it was a very balanced game.

For most of us, the World Cup is practically all over but the shouting. For the supporters of Italy and France, however, it is still about much, much more than just shouting on Sunday. For them, soccer's Holy Grail is there for the taking. I am still trying to figure out what Saturday night will mean for the Portuguese and the 80 million Germans who have to deal with something called the "third-place" playoff match. I suspect the millions of fans of the 28 other teams who have gone home would likely be happy to trade places with those Germans and Portuguese. Maybe.

As I recall my new friend Armin asking me which of my 10 Cups I remember as "the best," I couldn't help but recall an earlier conversation I had with a single friend of mine. He has been to four tournaments and, to him, the best World Cup is always like his girlfriends - "the last one is always best," he says."

Read Marcos' full report at the Tampa Tribune >>